School Health Services
School health programs in Virginia public schools support the physical and emotional well-being of students through school nursing services, health education covering a range of developmentally appropriate topics and other services that promote a healthy learning environment.
Use the menu to the right to navigate to the sub-sections of this topic:
- School Health Office
- School Nurse Professional Development – A School Health Services Resource from the Virginia Department of Education
- School Health Advisory Boards (SHAB) – Each Virginia public school board establishes a school health advisory board consisting of representation from parents, students, health professionals, educators and others.
- Medicaid & Schools – School divisions can submit reimbursement claims to Medicaid for some services provided to students.
COVID-19 Related School Nurse Resources
- Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) Presentations
- VA Association of School Nurses provides a the School Health Resources Recovery Plan resource document with school nurse specific information related to processes and procedures impacted by COVID 19.
- Center for Disease Control Resource Documents
- Back to School Planning: Checklists to Guide Parents, Guardians, and Caregivers
- Guidance for K-12 School Administrators on the Use of Cloth Face Coverings in Schools
- FAQ for School Administrators on Reopening Schools
- Screening K-12 Students for Symptoms of COVID-19: Limitations and Considerations
- School Decision-Making Tool for Parents, Caregivers, and Guardian
- The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) has released the following resources to assist school divisions:
- VDH, K-12 Education Page
- VDH, Resource for School Nurses
- VDH, Resource for School Administrators
- VDH, Resources for Parents and Families
- Contact Tracing as a Partnership Involving VDH, the Child and Parents/Guardians, and Schools/Childcare Programs-This is a PDF document.
- Ending Isolation Infographic-This is a PDF document.
- Isolation and Quarantine Infographic-This is a PDF document. explains the difference between isolation and quarantine.
School Entrance Requirements
Reference to Commonwealth & Policy Made at the Local Level
- School Entrance Physical Examination Requirements-This is a Word document.
- The VDH Commonwealth of Virginia School Entrance Health Form (MCH213G) is now available for use in an online fillable format on the School Health website.