COVID-19 Resources for Parents, Families & Caregivers
- COVID-19 Family Resources-This is a Word document. – This document provides a “one-stop” resource for parents to access information by bringing all of the COVID-19 resources specific to parents together in one place.
- COVID-19: A Parent Guide for School-Age Children – The VDOE has created this guide to serve as a resource for parents, families and caregivers on a variety of topics related to COVID-19 and their students.
Youth in Foster Care during School Closures due to COVID-19
- Joint statement from the VDSS and the VDOE on educational stability for children and youth in foster care during school closures due to COVID-19-This is a Word document. – Last Updated on April 15, 2020
- COVID-19 Guidelines for Military Families-This is a Word document. – This document was developed to assist school personnel on how to support military-connected students and their families during the pandemic.
Guidance from the Department of Special Education & Student Services
- What Families of Students with Disabilities Need to Know During COVID-19 School Closure-This is a PDF document. – Tips & Resources for Consideration
- VDOE Special Education and Student Services Frequently Asked Questions – The goal of this document is to provide school divisions and stakeholders with information and solutions around the provision of services for special education and student services.
- Superintendent's Memo 112-20, May 1, 2020: Additional Guidance from the U.S. Department of Education Regarding Waivers for the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act-This is a Word document.
- VDOE Considerations for COVID Recovery Services for Students with Disabilities-This is a Word document. – This document highlights information related to compliance, documentation and progress monitoring, and IEP Team considerations that are necessary in order to make decisions about and address requests for COVID recovery services for students with disabilities.
- Special Education Students After COVID-19 Key Considerations-This is a Word document. – A document to help support decision making surrounding potential issues regarding school reopening and supports for students, families and staff.
- Sustaining Inclusive Practices for Virtual Learning for Students with Disabilities-This is a Word document. – This document offers guidance, suggestions, and resources for sustaining inclusionary practices for students with disabilities through continuous learning opportunities using a virtual platform.
Virtual IEP Meeting Tip Sheets
- Virtual IEP Meeting Tip Sheets – Resource developed by U. S. Department of Education grant funded centers to support parents in how to hold and participate in virtual individualized education program (IEP) meetings.
- Child Care for Essential Personnel – Parents and families who are in search of child care for essential personnel, which is currently permitted under the Governor’s current order, can find more information on the Child Care Aware website. Families can also call 866-KIDS-TLC (866-543-7852).
- School Meal Finder – Parents and families can find sites approved for meal service on the School Meal Finder website.
- Talking to Children about COVID-19 – Advice for families on how to help children understand COVID-19 and deal with associated anxiety, developed by the National Association of School Psychologists and National Association of School Nurses. Available in both English and Spanish.
- Talking to Young Children about COVID-19 – Advice for families on how to help toddlers and preschoolers understand COVID-19 and deal with associated anxiety, developed by Zero to Three.
- NAESP Talking With Kids About Covid-19 Graphics Twitter/Facebook and Instagram – Tips when talking to children about COVID-19 and ways they can avoid getting and spreading the disease.
- CASEL Resources for Parents and Families – Social Emotional Learning (SEL) offers a powerful means to explore and express our emotions, build relationships, and support each other. CASEL provides resources to attend to the social and emotional needs that arise during stressful times like these. This site also provides school resources for K-12 lessons at home.
- SAMHSA Tips for Talking to Children during Infectious Disease Outbreaks – This fact sheet provides parents, caregivers, and teachers with strategies for helping children manage their stress during an infectious disease outbreak. It describes potential reactions among youth and the support adults can provide to help them.
- CDC Tips for Parents While School’s Out – CDC’s COVID-19 guidance for schools and childcare programs now includes Tips for Parents While School’s Out.
- CDC Strategies for Coping with Stress and Anxiety – Fear and anxiety about COVID-19 can be overwhelming and cause strong emotions in adults and children. This resource provides parents with strategies to support their own stress as well as their child’s.
- AAP HealthyChildren.org – The American Academy of Pediatrics parenting site offers information for families on COVID-19 and related resources.
- AFT Learning at Home Resources – The American Federation of Teachers (AFT) Share My Lesson website offers a repository of learning-at-home resources for teachers and parents, including mental health and social emotional learning resources.
- The Child Mind Institute: Supporting Families During COVID-19 – Parents may struggle to balance work, child care and self-care while keeping worries — both your children’s and your own — under control. This site offers resources to help children, teenagers, and parents cope with the increased stress of being at home and managing anxiety.
- Resources for Supporting Children's Emotional Well-being during the Covid-19 Pandemic – Child Trends provides recommendations for supporting children during this time, who may be at higher risk for the emotional impact of the pandemic.
- Federation of Virginia Food Banks – Provides information about COVID-19 food banks response as well as links to regional food banks and resources in Virginia. Families can also text “food” or “comida” to 877-877 to find out more about nearby options.
- VDSS COVID-19 Resources – Provides up-to-date information and guidance form the Virginia Department of Social Services.
- Medicaid and COVID-19 – Provides information about COVID-19 and Medicaid services, FAQs and how to access health care coverage
- Social Care Network – Search for free or reduced cost services like medical care, food, job training and more.