Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)
What is the Summer Food Service Program?
The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) is designed to ensure children continue to receive nutritious meals when school is not in session. SFSP sponsors must provide the program to all eligible participants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. The program serves children 18 and younger in communities of need.
How does it Work?
There are three main players involved: State agencies, sponsors, and sites.
- State agencies administer the program and communicate with USDA.
- Sponsors enter into agreements with State agencies to run the program. Schools, local government agencies, camps, faith-based and other non-profit community organizations that have the ability to manage a food service program may be SFSP sponsors. Sponsors get reimbursed by the Program and may manage multiple sites.
- Sites are places in the community where children receive meals in a safe and supervised environment. Sites may be located in a variety of settings, including schools, parks, community centers, health clinics, hospitals, apartment complexes, churches, and migrant centers. Sites work directly with sponsors.
How Can I Participate?
- Contact VDOE to see if you can become a sponsor or a site that serves summer meals. The State agency will help to see if you are located in an eligible area that can serve summer meals and connect you with a sponsor organization.
- Promote the Summer Meals Program to your community. Put up flyers and door hangers with information on where free meals are being served to help families find a nearby Summer Meals site.
- Provide fun activities for the kids and teens at sites to keep them coming back!
- Volunteer to help serve or transport meals for organizations that are involved in the Summer Meals Program.
VDOE cannot accept applications for the SFSP after June 15, 2021.
- Sponsors Requesting a June Advance – Must submit a complete request by May 1 to be approved for a June 1 advance.
- Sponsors Requesting a July Advance – Must submit a complete request by June 15 to be approved for a July 15 advance.
- Sponsors Requesting an August Advance – Must submit a complete request by July 15 to be approved for an August 15 advance.
VDOE has a range of ready-made promotional materials available to help publicize summer meals in your community. Use these resources to maximize the impact of your outreach efforts, both in-person and online. Electronic files are available here for your use in print, email, and social media. Physical materials (including banners, yard signs, and flyers) are available upon request. For inquiries, please contact Maggie Parker via email at Maggie.Parker@doe.virginia.gov or by phone at (804) 786-1147.
- Summer Meals Banner
- Color Summer Meals Yard Sign
- Summer Meals Yard Sign
- Summer Meals Flyer
- Summer Meals Graphics