Student Support & Conduct
The Virginia Board of Education has approved the Model Guidance for Positive, Preventive Code of Student Conduct Policy and Alternatives to Suspension, a blueprint for school boards in revising local policies, systems, and practices related to student conduct and school climate. The Model Guidance represents another initiative to embrace Virginia is for Learners. It focuses on ensuring equity and establishing prevention and intervention in a tiered system of supports. The Model Guidance also provides references to relevant Code of Virginia statutes and includes resources for developing alternatives to suspension. Local school board policies should be consistent with, but may be more stringent than, the guidelines of the Board (Code of Virginia § 22.1-279.6). For support or further information, contact the Office of Student Services.
- Model Guidance for Positive, Preventive Code of Student Conduct Policy and Alternatives to Suspension-This is a Word document.
- Model Guidance for Positive, Preventive Code of Student Conduct Policy and Alternatives to Suspension-This is a PDF document.
Professional Learning Webinars
The following webinars were developed by the Office of Student Services to assist school divisions with revising local policy to align with the Model Guidance for Positive and Preventative Code of Student Conduct and Alternatives to Suspension. Local school board policies should be consistent with, but may be more stringent than, the guidelines of the Board (Code of Virginia § 22.1-279.6).The webinars are pre-recorded but include interactive activities that make them appropriate for viewing with a group of stakeholders working to revise local student conduct policy. The viewer controls movement through the webinars using the forward and back arrows. The webinars can be paused for reflection and discussion.
The Development of the Virginia Board of Education’s Model Guidance for Student Code of Conduct Policy and Alternatives to Suspension
Description: This interactive webinar reviews the reasons the Board of Education adopted the 2019 guidance for student conduct policy, the shifts in mindset needed for implementation of the Model Guidance, and the Guidance’s connection to the Profile of a Virginia Graduate, social emotional learning, restorative practices, trauma informed care, and equity.
The Components of the Virginia Board of Education's Model Guidance for Student Code of Conduct Policy
Description: This interactive webinar reviews the Board of Education’s six recommendations for establishing a code of student conduct policy, describes the necessary elements to align local policy with the Model Guidance, and guides mapping resources within the school and community to support the implementation of the Model Guidance.
- Guide to Local Alternative Education Options for Suspended and Expelled Students in the Commonwealth (PDF) – Virginia Commission on Youth (2008)
- Seclusion and Restraint guidance and professional development
Students with Disabilities
- Guidance Document on Manifestation Determination (PDF) – Document currently under revision
- Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) Guidelines (PDF)
- Discipline of Children With Disabilities (PDF)