Career Resources & Incentives
New & Beginning Teacher Resources
- Mentor Programs – Information, including guidelines and training resources, for school divisions to meet requirements for mentoring beginning teachers for a successful transition into the classroom.
- Stepping Stones to Success Manual (PDF) – A manual for new teachers and mentors addressing a variety of issues and good practices that teachers need to be successful in the classroom.
Teacher Incentive Programs
- National Board Certification – Information about this voluntary certification process designed to complement initial state licensure and subsidy grants for teachers interested in pursuing National Board Certification.
- Virginia Middle School Teacher Corps (MTSC) - Mathematics – Incentive information and eligibility requirements for experienced middle school mathematics teachers interested in teaching in schools designated as "at risk in mathematics" as determined by being accredited with warning in mathematics. Information is also available for schools eligible to participate in this initiative.
Information on requirements for educators interesting in seeking leadership or administrative roles.
Advancing to School Leadership
- Advancing Virginia's Leadership Agenda Guidance Document: Standards and Indicators for School Leaders and Documentation for the Principal of Distinction (Level II) Administration and Supervision Endorsement (PDF)
- School Leadership Development Grants 2004-2008 (PDF)
Employment of Retirees in Critical Shortage AreasLegislation by the General Assembly (effective until July 1, 2010) allows retired teachers who are members of the Virginia Retirement System (VRS) to be considered for hired by a school division to fill vacancies in critical shortage areas and continue to receive the retirement allowance.
- Teaching After Retirement
Information from VRS regarding re-employment of retirees.
- The Critical Shortage Program for School Divisions, K-12
A one-hour VRS online training course for school divisions that reviews the components of the critical shortage legislation, eligibility guidelines for positions and participating individuals, and the procedure to submit VRS forms.
- Employment of Retirees in Critical Shortage Areas
Superintendents’ Memo #009, October 31, 2008
TeacherDirect provides a direct line of communication with classroom teachers and educators. TeacherDirect includes information about new instructional resources created by VDOE staff as well as professional development, grant opportunities, and other information of special interest to teachers and their students.
- Teacher-To-Teacher eLearning Workshops – Online professional development for teachers from the U.S. Department of Education, including streaming video courses on effective instruction in English, mathematics, science, and other subjects.
- Virginia's Community of Learning – A curriculum, instructional, technology and professional development resource for educators designed to support classroom and learning activities for teachers, students, administrators, parents and future educators.