College & University Programs
More than three dozen public and private colleges and universities throughout Virginia offer programs of study for aspiring educators and continuing education opportunities for veteran teachers.
Teacher Education Program Resources
Information for persons interested in pursuing teacher licensure through approved college or university programs.
- Virginia Colleges and Universities with Approved Educator Preparation Programs
- Approved Teacher Education Programs – Virginia colleges and universities with information on types of teacher preparation programs offered at each, including whether they provide undergraduate and/or graduate programs.
Resources for Institutions with Teacher Education Programs
- Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia
- Biennial Report: Approved Teacher Education Programs Compliance – Accountability Measurements 1 through 6
- Regional Accreditation Organizations
- Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- WASC Senior College and University Commission
- Definitions of At-Risk of Becoming Low-Performing and Low-Performing Institutions of Higher Education in Virginia As Required by Title II of the Higher Education Act (HEA)-This is a PDF document. – To comply with federal reporting requirements, the Board of Education approved definitions of what constitutes a low-performing and at-risk of becoming low-performing institutions of higher education with teacher preparation programs.
- Interdisciplinary Curriculum Models for Elementary, Middle, and Special Education Teacher Preparation Programs
- Virginia Plan for Title II Reporting Requirements of the Higher Education Act (Sections 201 and 208)-This is a PDF document. – Approved by the Board of Education September 2000.
- Title II State Reports – Virginia – Each state receiving Title II funding is required to report annually on the quality of teacher preparation in the state, including the pass rates by teacher preparation programs. The 2008 reauthorization of the Higher Education Act made sweeping changes to the data collection required under Title II. The 2010 state reports are the first reports submitted by states under the reauthorized law.
Annual Education Preparation Program Profiles
Section 8VAC20-543-70 of the Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia requires all institutions of higher education with approved education preparation programs to report annually specific institution level and programmatic data.
Data is submitted annually by May 1 of each year, on data reported from the previous year, September 1 through August 30. Institutions of higher education submitted the first data collection in May 2020, and institution-level reports will be made publicly available on the Virginia Department of Education website.