SOL Assessment Committees
News & Announcements
Nominations for the Standards of Learning Item and Test Review Committees
Tuesday, March 23, 2021 is the deadline to submit applications for the 2021 Standards of Learning Item and Test Review Committees. For criteria and application details, refer to Superintendent's Memo 044-21-This is a PDF document..
If you have questions, please contact the student assessment staff at Student_Assessment@doe.virginia.gov or call (804) 225-2102.
Virginia teachers, school administrators and content specialists participate in the development of SOL assessments by serving on committees that review test items and forms to ensure that they measure student knowledge accurately and fairly. VDOE encourages educators to participate in this process.
Item and Test Review Interviews
This video provides an overview of the item and test review process, along with reflections from Virginia educators who have participated in this process.
Applicants apply through a web-based Assessment Committee Application Processing System (ACAPS)
- Applicants are required to provide a professional reference and approval from the division superintendent or designee.
- All applicants and references must have a teaching license on file with the Virginia Department of Education.
- To use the online system, you must have an account with a user name and password. Instructions for creating an account are available on the application page.
CriteriaCommittee members are chosen based on the following criteria:
- Grade-level experience and content area expertise;
- In-depth knowledge of the SOL;
- Instructional/supervisory experience with students of varied learning styles, abilities, and aptitudes, including students with disabilities and students with limited English proficiency; and
- Balanced regional representation.
ResponsibilitiesCommittee members selected for SOL Assessment Committees are expected to:
- Serve a one-year term and attend all daily scheduled meetings in their entirety;
- Sign a Non-Disclosure/Conflict of Interest Agreement;
- Participate in committee meetings scheduled by the Virginia Department of Education;
- Examine test items to confirm a match with the SOL;
- Review test items for appropriateness and fairness;
- Examine field test data for potential test items; and
- Recommend whether items are to be included in the test item bank.