Participation & Inclusion
All students in tested grade levels and courses are expected to participate in Virginia’s assessment program, unless specifically exempted by state or federal law or by Board of Education regulations. Virginia’s assessment system includes students with disabilities and students who are English Learners (ELs). Students with disabilities and ELs may take Standards of Learning tests with or without accommodations or they may be assessed through alternate assessment. The tests that comprise the Virginia Assessment Program are offered in English only; administration of the tests in other languages is not permitted.
VDOE offers the following guidance regarding the assessment of students with disabilities and/or ELs:
- Students with Disabilities: Guidelines for Assessment Participation-This is a Word document. – Provides the state assessment options available to students with disabilities, the participation criteria, and information about the roles and responsibilities of Individualized Education Program (IEP) teams and 504 committees in making assessment determinations.
- Students with Disabilities: Guidelines for Special Test Accommodations-This is a Word document. – Provides information on a four-step process for selecting and using test accommodations and a description of test accommodations currently permitted on state assessments.
- Administrators Update Training 2019-2020 – Assessment Options for Students with Disabilities-This is a PPT presentation.
- Special Assessment Accommodation Request – The Special Assessment Accommodation Request form is used by division directors of testing to request special assessment accommodations that individual students with disabilities may require to access the Standards of Learning assessments. The first document below provides the deadlines and directions for submission. The second document below is the fillable form which must be submitted to VDOE.
- Procedures for Determining English Learner Participation in the Virginia Assessment Program-This is a Word document.
- Guidelines for Administering the Read-Aloud Accommodation for Standards of Learning Assessments-This is a Word document. – Updated January 29, 2020
- Explanation of Testing Accommodations for Students with Disabilities – Math Aids – Accommodation Code 19-This is a Word document. – Updated January 27, 2020
- Explanation of Testing Accommodations for Students with Disabilities – Assistive Technology Accommodations (PDF) – effective beginning fall 2017
- Calculator Accommodation Criteria Form (Word) – Updated February 26, 2019
- FAQ: Special Education and Desmos-This is a Word document. – The document addresses frequently asked questions concerning the implementation of Desmos and Special Education.
- 2020-2021 Health Management Device Form-This is a Word document. – This form must be completed for each student with a documented health need who requires the use of a health management device (e.g., continuous glucose monitor, seizure monitor, etc.) during the administration of a Standards of Learning (SOL) assessment.
- 2020-2021 Hearing Aids with Internet-Connected Device Form-This is a Word document. – Complete this form for any student who requires the use of hearing aids with an Internet-connected device (e.g., cell phone, tablet) during the administration of a Standards of Learning (SOL) assessment.