History & Social Science
Standards of Learning
|US History to 1865||Word||NA|
|US History 1865 to Present||Word||NA|
|Civics & Economics||Word||Word|
|World History & Geography to 1500||Word||NA|
|World History & Geography 1500-Present||Word||NA|
|Virginia & US History||Word||Word|
|Virginia & US Government||Word||NA|
Standards / Curriculum Framework
|All History & Social Science||2008 Standards and Curriculum Framework – Includes ESS Lesson Plans|
Resources for Instruction
- SOL Institutes – Presentations & lessons available for 2017, 2016 and 2012
- History and Social Science Standards of Learning Crosswalk Between the 2015 and 2008 Standards-This is a Word document. – Provides detail on additions, deletions and changes included in the 2015 History and Social Science SOL.
- History and Social Science Standards of Learning Skills’ Progression Chart-This is a Word document. – Identifies the grade/course at which specific skills are formally introduced in the 2015 History and Social Science SOL.
- Documents of American History (PDF) - This publication contains the text of The Constitution of Virginia, Virginia Statute of Religious Freedom, Declaration of American Independence, Constitution of the United States of America with Amendments, and The Virginia Charters. State law requires that the Documents of American History shall be taught to all students in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Economics and Personal Finance - These objectives for economics education and financial literacy are required of all students at the middle and high school levels to further the development of knowledge, skills, and attitudes needed for responsible citizenship in a constitutional democracy.
- Maps of the Five Geographic Regions of Virginia (2001)
- Selected Geographic Regions of North America (2001) (PDF) - Correlates to Standard USI.2b for History and Social Science.
- Instructional Resources
Resources for Assessment
- SOL Practice Items – Provide examples of items used on all History & Social Science tests beginning in Fall 2016. Included are Guided Practice Suggestions that highlight the tools available to students during the test.
- Released SOL Tests & Item Sets – Tests and item sets representative of the content and skills included in the Virginia SOL tests.