History & Social Science
2022 Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework Revision
At the January 28, 2021 Virginia Board of Education meeting, the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) was authorized to proceed with the History and Social Science Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework review process. For more information, refer to History and Social Science Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework Revision and Superintendent's Memo #025-21-This is a Word document.
Proposed Revised 2022 History and Social Science Standards of Learning
Although the July 2022 Virginia Board of Education meeting was postponed, interested stakeholders can access the Proposed Revised 2022 History and Social Science Standards of Learning-This is a Word document.. Please visit the Board of Education webpage and the History and Social Science Review and Revision webpage for updates.
Community Engagement Roundtables Sessions:
The Community Engagement Roundtables Sessions allowing parents, families, and community members to engage in the review and revision process will be scheduled following the First Review of the Proposed Revised 2022 History and Social Science Standards of Learning-This is a Word document. by the Virginia Board of Education. Additional information regarding the rescheduled dates and locations will be shared when available. Please visit the History and Social Science Review webpage for rescheduled dates and locations.
Public Comment on the Proposed 2022 History and Social Science Standards of Learning Open (July 25, 2022 - September 25, 2022)
Individuals and Organizations are invited to offer public comment on the Proposed Revised 2022 History and Social Science Standards of Learning. The public comment period will be open July 25 - September 25, 2022. All comments received by September 25, 2022 will be considered for the Review and Revision of the History and Social Science Standards of Learning.
Public Comment Google Form Links:
- Grade One
- Grade Two
- Grade Three
- Virginia Studies
- United States History to 1865
- United States History 1865 to Present
- Civics & Economics
- World Geography
- World History and Geography to 1500 C.E.
- World History and Geography 1500 C.E. to Present
- Virginia and United States History
- Virginia and United States Government
As an update to HB2409 and previous materials provided in 2009, the history and social science program at the Virginia Department of Education worked with a team of teachers, organizations, and Virginia museums to provide such support for Virginia educators to meet the required instruction of the Holocaust and other world genocides. This document includes recommended practices; however, the Virginia Department of Education encourages each school division to utilize selected resources and seek additional training to further educator ability to teach about this difficult history.
Using State-Developed Performance Assessments to Verify Credits in History and Social Science
On September 23, 2021, the Virginia Board of Education approved revisions to the Guidelines for Locally Awarded Verified Credits that are contained in the Guidance Document Governing Certain Provisions of the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia to allow school divisions to use state-developed performance tasks, scored locally using the state-developed common rubric, to confer locally awarded verified credits in history and social science. School divisions continue to have the option to administer Standards of Learning tests to verify credits in history and social science. Superintendent’s Memo #276-21-This is a Word document. provides additional details and links to associated documents. Documents to support school divisions that choose to exercise this new option for verifying credits are located in the Locally Awarded Verified Credits in History and Social Science section of the History and Social Science Instruction webpage.
Standards of Learning
|US History to 1865||Word||NA|
|US History 1865 to Present||Word||NA|
|Civics & Economics||Word||Word|
|World History & Geography to 1500||Word||NA|
|World History & Geography 1500-Present||Word||NA|
|Virginia & US History||Word||Word|
|Virginia & US Government||Word||NA|
Standards / Curriculum Framework
|All History & Social Science||2008 Standards and Curriculum Framework – Includes ESS Lesson Plans|
Resources for Instruction
- SOL Institutes – Presentations & lessons available for 2017, 2016 and 2012
- History and Social Science Standards of Learning Crosswalk Between the 2015 and 2008 Standards-This is a Word document. – Provides detail on additions, deletions and changes included in the 2015 History and Social Science SOL.
- History and Social Science Standards of Learning Skills’ Progression Chart-This is a Word document. – Identifies the grade/course at which specific skills are formally introduced in the 2015 History and Social Science SOL.
- Documents of American History (PDF) - This publication contains the text of The Constitution of Virginia, Virginia Statute of Religious Freedom, Declaration of American Independence, Constitution of the United States of America with Amendments, and The Virginia Charters. State law requires that the Documents of American History shall be taught to all students in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Economics and Personal Finance - These objectives for economics education and financial literacy are required of all students at the middle and high school levels to further the development of knowledge, skills, and attitudes needed for responsible citizenship in a constitutional democracy.
- Maps of the Five Geographic Regions of Virginia (2001)
- Selected Geographic Regions of North America (2001) (PDF) - Correlates to Standard USI.2b for History and Social Science.
- Instructional Resources
Resources for Assessment
- SOL Practice Items – Provide examples of items used on all History & Social Science tests beginning in Fall 2016. Included are Guided Practice Suggestions that highlight the tools available to students during the test.
- Released SOL Tests & Item Sets – Tests and item sets representative of the content and skills included in the Virginia SOL tests.