News & Announcements
Timeline for the Mathematics Standards of Learning Review and Revision Process
At the January 27, 2022 Board of Education meeting, the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) was authorized to proceed with the review and revision process of the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning consistent with the schedule adopted by the Board.
- Item M: Timeline for the Mathematics Standards of Learning Review and Revision Process-This is a PDF document.
The Mathematics Standards of Learning and the Mathematics Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework were adopted in 2016 and are scheduled for review in 2022-2023. Refer to Standards of Learning Documents for Mathematics – Adopted 2016 for the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and the Mathematics Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework documents.
Online Calculator in Mathematics Standards of Learning Assessments
As announced in Superintendent’s Memo 184-21-This is a PDF document.on July 9, 2021, the VDOE is adding a final year to the transition period to the Desmos Virginia Calculators. Through the summer of the 2021-2022 school year, school divisions may continue to provide one of the approved hand-held calculators to students taking the online version of the mathematics tests based on the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning. Beginning in the 2022-2023 school year, students will use the provided Desmos Virginia Calculator within the TestNav application during an online SOL test. Hand-held calculators #184-21 Page 2 will only be used by students completing a paper test or students with disabilities with an accommodation that requires the use of a hand-held calculator.
VDOE Mathematics Update NewsletterIf you are a Virginia Educator interested in learning about mathematics instruction in Virginia, please click this link to subscribe or update your GovDelivery subscriber preferences to receive Mathematics Updates email notifications from the Virginia Department of Education.
Superintendent's Memos Regarding Implementation
- Superintendent’s Memo 184-21 (Word) added a final year to the transition period to the Desmos Virginia Calculators through the summer of the 2021-2022 school year. Beginning in the 2022-2023 school year, students will use the provided Desmos Virginia Calculator within the TestNav application during an online SOL test
- Superintendent's Memo 244-16 – Adoption of the Revised 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning
|Course||Standards||Curriculum Framework||2009 to 2016 Crosswalk (Summary of Revisions)||Narrated Crosswalk Presentations||Test Blueprints|
|All Mathematics||Word | PDF||NA||NA||NA||NA|
|Kindergarten||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||NA|
|Grade 1||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||NA|
|Grade 2||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||NA|
|Grade 3||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Grade 4||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Grade 5||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Grade 6||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Grade 7||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Grade 8||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Algebra I||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Geometry||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Algebra, Functions & Data Analysis||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Algebra II||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Trigonometry||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Computer Mathematics||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Probability & Statistics||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Discrete Mathematics||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Mathematical Analysis||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Data Science||Word | PDF||NA||NA||NA|
Standards of Learning / Curriculum Framework
|All Mathematics||2009 Standards and Curriculum Framework|
Mathematics Performance Expectations define the level of achievement students must reach to be academically prepared for success in entry-level credit-bearing college courses. The expectations were developed through the College & Career Readiness Initiative – a process that involved faculty from Virginia's two- and four-year colleges and universities, members of the business community and high school educators.
Resources for Instruction
- 2018 Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL) Institutes - The 2018 Mathematics Standards of Learning Institutes provided training that focused on implementing the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning; strengthening the teaching and learning of mathematics through facilitating meaningful mathematical discourse; and supporting equitable mathematics learning opportunities for all students. A product of the 2018 Mathematics Institutes is a set of online professional development modules designed to be used by a group of teachers of a specific grade level or course, facilitated by a member of the team.
- 2017 Mathematics Standards of Learning Institutes – provided professional development resources focused on deepening participants’ understanding of the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and the use of effective mathematics teaching practices as outlined in the NCTM Principles to Actions: Ensuring Mathematical Success for All executive summary.
- Additional Mathematics Instructional Resources – other instructional resources to support student learning of the Mathematics Standards of Learning
- Mathematics Bridging Standards documents-This is a PDF document. can be used in conjunction with the Tracking Logs as a support in the identification of content that can be connected when planning instruction and promoting deeper student understanding.
- Correlation between VASOL and CCSS (XLS) – This spreadsheet contains a draft of the correlations between the Kindergarten through Algebra II - 2016 Virginia Standards of Learning (VASOL) for Mathematics with the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for Mathematics. This correlation has been created to support educators across the Commonwealth as they attempt to utilize materials that may only designate CCSS alignment. All VASOL and CCSS, as well as Virginia Process Goals and CCSS Mathematical Practices, are linked throughout the spreadsheet to allow for ease of cross-referencing.
- Co-teaching Mathematics Instructional Plans – These plans utilize the six common co-teaching approaches, and contain suggestions as to how co-teachers can effectively utilize the expertise of each teacher to enhance lessons and activities in a co-taught classroom. These co-teaching plans were created and modified by a select group of Virginia teachers participating in the Excellence for Co-teaching Initiative. These plans align instruction with the expectations of the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning, and were vetted by VDOE content and special education specialists.
- Desmos Online Calculator and Related Resources – Desmos offers so much more than just a calculator that is accessible online. Desmos has developed a bank of mathematics classroom activities located at Desmos Classroom Activities Desmos Classroom Activities that support and enhance classroom instructional practices utilizing the Desmos calculators. During the past two years, a group of Virginia educators has created the Virginia Department of Education Desmos Activity Log which contains activities that have been aligned to the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning. This log, an Excel spreadsheet, contains a tab for each grade-level/mathematics course from Kindergarten through Algebra II. Each grade level sheet includes a list of SOL-aligned Desmos activities with a brief description and direct link to the activity on the Desmos website.
- Instructional Videos for Teachers – videos provided as support for the implementation of the Virginia Mathematics Standards of Learning.
- Just in Time Mathematics Quick Checks – These formative assessments align to the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL). These resources, developed by Virginia teachers and mathematics leaders, are designed to help teachers identify students with unfinished learning and assist in planning instruction to fill potential gaps “just in time.” As new content is introduced throughout the school year, teachers can use these Quick Checks to identify and diagnose unfinished learning at grade level and/or to assess understanding of prerequisite knowledge that may be needed to access grade level content. Student gaps in mathematics understanding exist for a variety of reasons and these resources can be used to help get student mathematical learning back on track.
- K-3 Mathematics Achievement Sample Records – Schools maintain a record of achievement in mathematics for each K-3 student to monitor progress and to promote achievement on third-grade SOL tests.
- Learning Disabilities in Mathematics – This page includes information and resources, as well as two new VDOE companion guides:
- The Evidence-Based Specially Designed Instruction in Mathematics Resource Guide-This is a PDF document. provides an overview of evidence-based instructional strategies that educators can utilize to support students with mathematics disability or difficulty at any grade.
- The Students with Disabilities in Mathematics: Frequently Asked Questions-This is a PDF document.is companion to the Evidenced Based Specially Designed Instruction in Mathematics Resource Guide listed above. This document provides an overview of the characteristics of mathematics disability, as well as information about accommodations, modifications, and assistive technology that can support a student with a disability in mathematics.
- Mathematics Bridging Standards Documents-This is a PDF document. (K-8) have been created to assist in the identification of content that can be connected when planning instruction and promoting deeper student understanding. Standards are considered a bridge when they: function as a bridge to which other content within the grade level/course is connected; serve as prerequisite knowledge for content to be addressed in future grade levels/courses; or possess endurance beyond a single unit of instruction within a grade level/course.
- Mathematics Standards of Learning Tracking Logs (2020-2021 School Year to 2021-2022 School Year) - Tracking logs for grades Kindergarten through Algebra II have been developed to assist teachers in identifying which standards students have had sufficient exposure and experience during the 2020-2021 school year. They may support decisions regarding when and how experience with new standards might occur in the 2021-2022 school year. Mathematics Bridging Standards documents-This is a PDF document. can be used in conjunction with the Tracking Logs as a support in the identification of content that can be connected when planning instruction and promoting deeper student understanding.
- Mathematics Instructional Plans – includes instructional plans aligned to the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning to assist teachers in aligning instruction to the essential knowledge and skills.
- Mathematics Vertical Articulation Tool (MVAT) – This tool provides support in identifying concepts aligned to the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL) that articulate across mathematics grade levels or courses.
- Rich Mathematical Tasks – (K-8, Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II) These resources are provided to support teachers in implementing the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning in their classrooms. Teachers are encouraged to not only use these tasks with their students, but also to endeavor to implement them with fidelity by utilizing the detailed information provided in the task implementation templates.
- SOL Practice Items in TestNav 8 - provide examples of the content aligned to the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and opportunities to practice with the online tools and features that are available in TestNav 8 during online SOL testing.
Resources for Assessment
- Ancillary Test Materials – Ancillary test materials include mathematics formula sheets for grades 6-8 and End-of-course Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II; the Table of Standard Normal Probabilities (z-table); sample grid paper; and Chemistry Periodic Table of the Elements.
- Desmos Online Calculator – The Desmos online calculator will be available beginning with the spring 2019 test administration.
- Approved Calculators for the Virginia Standards of Learning Assessments-This is a Word document. – This chart lists the approved calculators for use on the mathematics Standards of Learning assessments, listed by grade level.
- Computer Adaptive Testing – Includes CAT informational videos and resources
- SOL Practice Items in TestNav 8 – Provide examples of mathematics SOL content
- SOL Performance Analysis Presentations - Provide examples of SOL content identified by an analysis of statewide results on SOL tests to determine specific content for which overall student performance was weak or inconsistent