News & Announcements
VDOE Mathematics Update NewsletterIf you are a Virginia Educator interested in learning about mathematics instruction in Virginia, please click this link to subscribe or update your GovDelivery subscriber preferences to receive Mathematics Updates email notifications from the Virginia Department of Education.
NEW! Updated VDOE Desmos Activity Log
The VDOE Desmos Activity Log-This is an excel spreadsheet. has been updated with additional activities to support the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning. The log now contains a tab with activities for each grade-level/mathematics course from Kindergarten through Algebra II. Each grade level sheet includes a list of SOL-aligned Desmos activities with a brief description and direct link to the activity on the Desmos webpage. Check it out!
NEW! Bridging for Math Strength Resources
Bridging for Math Strength Resources to support mathematics instruction for Kindergarten – Grade 8 are now available! Through a project partnership with George Mason University, the Virginia Department of Education, and a cadre of Virginia teachers and specialists, strength-based formative assessment tools and instructional modules to support instruction have been created. These materials will assist educators in bridging prior concepts to new concepts, serve as a tool to help identify students' strengths, and provide strategies to advance mathematical learning through engaging bridging activities (i.e., routines, tasks and games). As Virginia teachers utilize these materials with students this fall feedback will be collected and edits made as part of the iterative design process.
NEW! Virtual Just in Time Mathematics Quick Checks
Virtual Just in Time Mathematics Quick Checks (Virtual JIT QCs) are provided by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) to facilitate the use of the Just in Time Mathematics Quick Checks while teaching and learning in a virtual environment. Virginia educators from around the state created a virtual version for each Just in Time Mathematics Quick Check. In March/April 2021, a team of Virginia teacher leaders assisted VDOE in vetting the Virtual JIT QCs linked in this Virtual Just in Time Mathematics Quick Checks-This is an excel spreadsheet.. These Virtual JIT QCs mirror the original Just in Time Mathematics Quick Checks to the greatest extent possible, with changes made only when necessary for use in a virtual environment. VIrtual JIT QCs are available for kindergarten through Algebra II. Questions about the Virtual Just in Time Mathematics Quick Checks should be directed to Student_Assessment@doe.virginia.gov.
Superintendent's Memos Regarding Implementation
- Superintendent’s Memo 043-19-This is a Word document. – extends the period for transitioning to the Desmos Virginia Calculators through the 2020-2021 school year.
- Superintendent’s Memo 144-18 – The Desmos online calculator will be available beginning with the spring 2019 test administration.
- Superintendent's Memo 043-18 – Change in the Implementation Timeline for End-of-Course (EOC) Tests Assessing the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning. The EOC mathematics tests measuring the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning will instead be implemented in the spring of 2019 test administration along with the revised grades 3-8 mathematics tests.
- Superintendent's Memo 244-16 – Adoption of the Revised 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning
|Course||Standards||Curriculum Framework||2009 to 2016 Crosswalk (Summary of Revisions)||Narrated Crosswalk Presentations||Test Blueprints|
|All Mathematics||Word | PDF||NA||NA||NA||NA|
|Kindergarten||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||NA|
|Grade 1||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||NA|
|Grade 2||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||NA|
|Grade 3||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Grade 4||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Grade 5||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Grade 6||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Grade 7||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Grade 8||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Algebra I||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Geometry||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Algebra, Functions & Data Analysis||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Algebra II||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PPT | WMV||Word|
|Trigonometry||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Computer Mathematics||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Probability & Statistics||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Discrete Mathematics||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Mathematical Analysis||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
Standards of Learning / Curriculum Framework
|All Mathematics||2009 Standards and Curriculum Framework|
Mathematics Performance Expectations define the level of achievement students must reach to be academically prepared for success in entry-level credit-bearing college courses. The expectations were developed through the College & Career Readiness Initiative – a process that involved faculty from Virginia's two- and four-year colleges and universities, members of the business community and high school educators.
Resources for Instruction
- Mathematics Standards of Learning Tracking Logs (2020-2021 School Year to 2021-2022 School Year) - Tracking logs for grades Kindergarten through Algebra II have been developed to assist teachers in identifying which standards students have had sufficient exposure and experience during the 2020-2021 school year. They may support decisions regarding when and how experience with new standards might occur in the 2021-2022 school year. Mathematics Bridging Standards documents-This is a PDF document. can be used in conjunction with the Tracking Logs as a support in the identification of content that can be connected when planning instruction and promoting deeper student understanding.
- Mathematics Bridging Standards Documents-This is a PDF document. (K-8) have been created to assist in the identification of content that can be connected when planning instruction and promoting deeper student understanding. Standards are considered a bridge when they: function as a bridge to which other content within the grade level/course is connected; serve as prerequisite knowledge for content to be addressed in future grade levels/courses; or possess endurance beyond a single unit of instruction within a grade level/course.
- Just in Time Mathematics Quick Checks – These formative assessments align to the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL). These resources, developed by Virginia teachers and mathematics leaders, are designed to help teachers identify students with unfinished learning and assist in planning instruction to fill potential gaps “just in time.” As new content is introduced throughout the school year, teachers can use these Quick Checks to identify and diagnose unfinished learning at grade level and/or to assess understanding of prerequisite knowledge that may be needed to access grade level content. Student gaps in mathematics understanding exist for a variety of reasons and these resources can be used to help get student mathematical learning back on track.
- Mathematics Vertical Articulation Tool (MVAT) – This tool provides support in identifying concepts aligned to the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL) that articulate across mathematics grade levels or courses.
- Mathematics Instructional Plans – includes instructional plans aligned to the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning to assist teachers in aligning instruction to the essential knowledge and skills.
- Correlation between VASOL and CCSS-This is an excel spreadsheet. – This spreadsheet contains a draft of the correlations between the Kindergarten through Algebra II - 2016 Virginia Standards of Learning (VASOL) for Mathematics with the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for Mathematics. This correlation has been created to support educators across the Commonwealth as they attempt to utilize materials that may only designate CCSS alignment. All VASOL and CCSS, as well as Virginia Process Goals and CCSS Mathematical Practices, are linked throughout the spreadsheet to allow for ease of cross-referencing.
- Co-teaching Mathematics Instructional Plans – includes instructional plans aligned to the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning created by teachers participating in the Excellence for Co-teaching initiative. These plans include suggestions to enhance lessons and activities in a co-taught classroom.
- Mathematics Vocabulary Word Wall Cards (K-8, Algebra I, Geometry, AFDA, and Algebra II) – provide a display of mathematics content words and associated visual cues to assist in vocabulary development.
- Learning Disabilities in Mathematics – This page includes information and resources, as well as two new VDOE companion guides:
- The Evidence-Based Specially Designed Instruction in Mathematics Resource Guide-This is a PDF document. provides an overview of evidence-based instructional strategies that educators can utilize to support students with mathematics disability or difficulty at any grade.
- The Students with Disabilities in Mathematics: Frequently Asked Questions-This is a PDF document.is companion to the Evidenced Based Specially Designed Instruction in Mathematics Resource Guide listed above. This document provides an overview of the characteristics of mathematics disability, as well as information about accommodations, modifications, and assistive technology that can support a student with a disability in mathematics.
- Rich Mathematical Tasks – (K-8, Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II) These resources are provided to support teachers in implementing the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning in their classrooms. Teachers are encouraged to not only use these tasks with their students, but also to endeavor to implement them with fidelity by utilizing the detailed information provided in the task implementation templates.
- 2018 Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL) Institutes - The 2018 Mathematics Standards of Learning Institutes provided training that focused on implementing the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning; strengthening the teaching and learning of mathematics through facilitating meaningful mathematical discourse; and supporting equitable mathematics learning opportunities for all students. A product of the 2018 Mathematics Institutes is a set of online professional development modules designed to be used by a group of teachers of a specific grade level or course, facilitated by a member of the team.
- 2017 Mathematics Standards of Learning Institutes – provided professional development resources focused on deepening participants’ understanding of the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and the use of effective mathematics teaching practices as outlined in the NCTM Principles to Actions: Ensuring Mathematical Success for All executive summary.
- Computer Adaptive Testing (CAT) – includes CAT informational videos and resources
- Instructional Videos for Teachers – instructional videos intended for teachers to support implementation of the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning
- SOL Practice Items in TestNav 8 - provide examples of the content aligned to the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and opportunities to practice with the online tools and features that are available in TestNav 8 during online SOL testing.
- Additional Mathematics Instructional Resources – other instructional resources to support student learning of the Mathematics Standards of Learning
Resources for Assessment
- Ancillary Test Materials – Ancillary test materials include mathematics formula sheets for grades 6-8 and End-of-course Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II; the Table of Standard Normal Probabilities (z-table); sample grid paper; and Chemistry Periodic Table of the Elements.
- Desmos Online Calculator – The Desmos online calculator will be available beginning with the spring 2019 test administration.
- Approved Calculators for the Virginia Standards of Learning Assessments-This is a Word document. – This chart lists the approved calculators for use on the mathematics Standards of Learning assessments, listed by grade level.
- Computer Adaptive Testing – Includes CAT informational videos and resources
- SOL Practice Items in TestNav 8 – Provide examples of mathematics SOL content