Science Standards of Learning – Adopted 2018
Implementation & Timeline
- Superintendent's Memo 155-19: 2018 Science Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework-This is a Word document. - Implementation timeline for the 2018 Science Standards of Learning and the 2018 Science Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework
Standards of Learning Documents
The expectation is that students achieve these outcomes as they learn science content and engage in Science and Engineering Practices.
- 2018 Science Standards of Learning – Approved by the Virginia Board of Education on October 18, 2018, the Standards of Learning are a critical communication with the citizens of the Commonwealth, parents, the business community, and higher education, in that these standards convey expectations and intended outcomes for K-12 education.
- 2018 Science Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework - Approved by the Virginia Board of Education on June 20, 2019, the Standards of Learning Curriculum framework provides educators instructional support in that it conveys expectations and intended outcomes for K-12 education.
- Science Standards of Learning Crosswalk between 2018 and 2010 Standards-This is a Word document.
- 2018 Science Standards of Learning YouTube playlist with VDOE Science Coordinator Anne Petersen.
Standards of Learning
Resources for Instruction
- Using Statewide SOL Test Results to Guide Instruction – Examples of challenging SOL content based on statewide results
- Science Instructional Resources
- VDOE Safety in Science Teaching (2018)-This is a Word document.
Science Content Guidelines
Content guidelines are in the process of being constructed for all Biology II and Earth Science II courses. The intention of the content guidelines are to inform instruction and to ensure that the content is covered equitably across the Commonwealth. These are guidelines and divisions may adapt these to meet the need of the students in their schools. Currently, guidelines are available for the areas indicated below and will be added as more peer-reviewed guidelines are developed. Provide feedback on these guidelines to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Biology II: Anatomy & Physiology-This is a Word document.
- Environmental Science-This is a Word document.
- Earth Science II: Astronomy-This is a Word document.
- Biology II: Ecology-This is a Word document.
Resources for Assessment
- SOL Practice Items in TestNav 8 – Provide examples of the new content and increased rigor of the 2010 Science SOL
- Released SOL Tests & Item Sets – Tests and item sets representative of the content and skills included in the Virginia SOL tests.
- Test Manipulatives
Students are permitted to use a Periodic Table of Elements on the EOC Chemistry test. These test manipulatives are included with your secure shipments for paper/pencil testing. For online testing, the following manipulatives are available on the toolbar in TestNav™. Please be sure to refer to the paper/pencil manuals and/or the online testing manuals for more information on test manipulatives.
- Alternatives to Animal Dissection, BOE Guidelines(PDF) – The Board of Education sets forth guidelines to be implemented by local school divisions regarding alternative dissection techniques.