News & Announcements
Science Instructional Plans (SIPs)
The Science Instructional Plans are uploaded daily into #GoOpenVA and can easily be accessed through the Science VDOE group. Find lesson plans for each grade level and discipline that were created to engage students as they build science conceptual understanding using the 2018 Science Standards of Learning.
Interested in receiving updates from the VDOE Science Instructional Team? Please register to be included in these bi-weekly updates.
2018 Science Standards of Learning Timeline Delayed (Superintendent’s Memo 131-20-This is a Word document.)
Recognizing that the 2020-2021 school year will present new challenges for school divisions and the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the VDOE is delaying the implementation timeline for the 2018 Science Standards of Learning by one year as detailed below.
2020-2021 School Year - Crosswalk between the 2010 Science Standards of Learning and the 2018 Science Standards of Learning
- School divisions incorporate new standards into local curriculum written curricula for inclusion in the taught curricula during the 2021-2022 school year.
2021-2022 School Year - Crosswalk Year
- 2010 Science Standards of Learning and 2018 Science Standards of Learning are included in the written and taught curricula.
- Spring 2022 Standards of Learning assessments measure the 2010 Science Standards of Learning and include field test items measuring the 2018 Science Standards of Learning.
2022-2023 School Year - Full Implementation Year
- Written and taught curricula reflect the 2018 Science Standards of Learning.
- Spring 2023 Standards of Learning assessments measure the 2018 Science Standards of Learning.
School divisions should continue their work to:
- review and align science curricula with the revised standards;
- review current resource materials and correlate them with the revised standards;
- develop new materials where needed; and
- provide staff development for teachers.
VDOE Science Approved Textbook
On September 17, 2020 the Virginia BOE approved the proposed Science Textbook list to support instruction of the 2018 Science Standards of Learning. All books submitted by
publishers underwent two different levels of review to ensure that they accurately reflect the content outlined in the 2018 Science Standards of Learning and to ensure that the books reflect
the rich diversity of Virginia students and communities.
The 2018 Science Standards of Learning reflect the integration of the scientific and engineering practices to support conceptual understanding of science topics. The instruction of these
standards are intended to allow students to see themselves as able to science while engaging in place-based activities and experiments that align to the expectations outlined in the 2018 Science Curriculum Framework. The science textbook list can be found at Science Textbook Review.
Science Standards of Learning – Adopted 2018
Standards / Curriculum Framework
|All Science||2018 Standards and Curriculum Framework|
Science Standards of Learning – Adopted 2010
The Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework comprise the science content that teachers in Virginia are expected to teach and students are expected to learn.
Implementation & Timeline
- Superintendent’s Memorandum #031-10 – Beginning in 2012-2013, the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests will assess full implementation of the 2010 Science SOL. In preparation for the implementation of the new assessments measuring the 2010 SOL, new science test blueprints have been developed.
- Superintendent’s Memo #258-11 – Implementation of the 2010 Science Standards of Learning Assessments
- Superintendent’s Memo #213-12 – New Science Tests Based on the 2010 Science Standards of Learning
Standards of Learning
|Grade 3||Grade 3 Science (PDF)|
|Grade 5||Grade 5 Science (PDF)
|Physical Science||Grade 8 Science (PDF)|
|Earth Science||Earth Science (PDF)|
Resources for Instruction
- Using Statewide SOL Test Results to Guide Instruction – Examples of challenging SOL content based on statewide results
- ESS Sample Lesson Plans – align instruction with the 2010 Science SOL by providing examples of how the knowledge, skills and processes found in the SOL and curriculum framework can be presented to students in the classroom.
- Science Standards of Learning Crosswalk between 2018 and 2010 Standards-This is a Word document.
- Science and Engineering Progression: Kindergarten through 5th grade-This is a Word document. – The Science and Engineering Practices Progression chart identifies grade level expectations for each of the six practices as student progress through elementary school.
- K-3 Science Progression (PDF) – Shows the progression of standards from kindergarten through third grade and how they relate to reporting categories on the Grade 3 Science SOL Test Blueprint.
- Science Instructional Resources
- VDOE Safety in Science Teaching (2018)-This is a Word document.
Science Content Guidelines
Content guidelines are in the process of being constructed for all Biology II and Earth Science II courses. The intention of the content guidelines are to inform instruction and to ensure that the content is covered equitably across the Commonwealth. These are guidelines and divisions may adapt these to meet the need of the students in their schools. Currently, guidelines are available for the areas indicated below and will be added as more peer-reviewed guidelines are developed. Provide feedback on these guidelines to email@example.com.
- Biology II: Anatomy & Physiology-This is a Word document.
- Environmental Science-This is a Word document.
- Earth Science II: Astronomy-This is a Word document.
- Earth Science II: Geology-This is a Word document.
- Earth Science II: Oceanography-This is a Word document.
- Biology II: Ecology-This is a Word document.
- Biology II: Genetics-This is a Word document.
Resources for Assessment
- SOL Practice Items in TestNav 8 – Provide examples of the new content and increased rigor of the 2010 Science SOL
- Released SOL Tests & Item Sets – Tests and item sets representative of the content and skills included in the Virginia SOL tests.
- Test Manipulatives
Students are permitted to use a Periodic Table of Elements on the EOC Chemistry test. These test manipulatives are included with your secure shipments for paper/pencil testing. For online testing, the following manipulatives are available on the toolbar in TestNav™. Please be sure to refer to the paper/pencil manuals and/or the online testing manuals for more information on test manipulatives.
- Alternatives to Animal Dissection, BOE Guidelines(PDF) – The Board of Education sets forth guidelines to be implemented by local school divisions regarding alternative dissection techniques.
Previous Version SOL
- Science Standards of Learning and related resources for the SOL adopted in 2003.