News & Announcements
Science Textbook Public Comment
The Virginia Department of (VDOE) is currently in the review process for science textbooks according to the Board of Education approved Timeline for State Approval Process for Science-This is a Word document.. Committees of Virginia educators used the Textbook Criteria for Science-This is a Word document. to conduct the textbook review and determine alignment of the submitted textbooks to the expectations in the 2018 Science Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework.
Following the Board’s first review of the proposed textbooks, the VDOE is conducting a 30-day virtual public comment period. The public comment period starts July 23, 2020 and will conclude on August 31, 2020. Public comment may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and will be reviewed with the intent to bring to the Board a final list of proposed approved textbooks for K-12 science in September 2020. Refer to the documents below for information concerning the texts, including digital access.
- Recommended Resources for Elementary School Science-This is a Word document.
- Recommended Resources for Middle School Science-This is a Word document.
- Recommended Resources for High School Science-This is a Word document.
2019-2020 School Year: Crosswalk between 2010 Science Standards of Learning and the 2018 Science Standards of Learning
During the 2019-2020 school year, school divisions will incorporate new standards into local curriculum written curricula for inclusion in the taught curricula during the 2020-2021 school year. For more information, refer to the Science Standards of Learning (SOL) Review Timeline and Superintendent's Memo 155-19 .
Science Textbook Approval Process Timeline Approved
The Virginia Board of Education reviewed the timeline for the K-12 Science Textbook Review-This is a Word document. on July 25, 2019. Questions concerning the science textbook review process can be directed to Myra.email@example.com
Science Content Guidelines
Content guidelines are in the process of being constructed for all Biology II and Earth Science II courses. The intention of the content guidelines are to inform instruction and to ensure that the content is covered equitably across the Commonwealth.
Science Standards of Learning – Adopted 2018
Standards / Curriculum Framework
|All Science||2018 Standards and Curriculum Framework|
Science Standards of Learning – Adopted 2010
The Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework comprise the science content that teachers in Virginia are expected to teach and students are expected to learn.
Implementation & Timeline
- Superintendent’s Memorandum #031-10 – Beginning in 2012-2013, the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests will assess full implementation of the 2010 Science SOL. In preparation for the implementation of the new assessments measuring the 2010 SOL, new science test blueprints have been developed.
- Superintendent’s Memo #258-11 – Implementation of the 2010 Science Standards of Learning Assessments
- Superintendent’s Memo #213-12 – New Science Tests Based on the 2010 Science Standards of Learning
Standards of Learning
|Grade 3||Grade 3 Science (PDF)|
|Grade 5||Grade 5 Science (PDF)
|Physical Science||Grade 8 Science (PDF)|
|Earth Science||Earth Science (PDF)|
Resources for Instruction
- Using Statewide SOL Test Results to Guide Instruction – Examples of challenging SOL content based on statewide results
- ESS Sample Lesson Plans – align instruction with the 2010 Science SOL by providing examples of how the knowledge, skills and processes found in the SOL and curriculum framework can be presented to students in the classroom.
- Science Standards of Learning Crosswalk between 2018 and 2010 Standards-This is a Word document.
- Science and Engineering Progression: Kindergarten through 5th grade-This is a Word document. – The Science and Engineering Practices Progression chart identifies grade level expectations for each of the six practices as student progress through elementary school.
- K-3 Science Progression (PDF) – Shows the progression of standards from kindergarten through third grade and how they relate to reporting categories on the Grade 3 Science SOL Test Blueprint.
- Science Instructional Resources
- VDOE Safety in Science Teaching (2018)-This is a Word document.
Science Content Guidelines
Content guidelines are in the process of being constructed for all Biology II and Earth Science II courses. The intention of the content guidelines are to inform instruction and to ensure that the content is covered equitably across the Commonwealth. These are guidelines and divisions may adapt these to meet the need of the students in their schools. Currently, guidelines are available for the areas indicated below and will be added as more peer-reviewed guidelines are developed. Provide feedback on these guidelines to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Biology II: Anatomy & Physiology-This is a Word document.
- Environmental Science-This is a Word document.
- Earth Science II: Astronomy-This is a Word document.
- Biology II: Ecology-This is a Word document.
- Biology II: Genetics-This is a Word document.
Resources for Assessment
- SOL Practice Items in TestNav 8 – Provide examples of the new content and increased rigor of the 2010 Science SOL
- Released SOL Tests & Item Sets – Tests and item sets representative of the content and skills included in the Virginia SOL tests.
- Test Manipulatives
Students are permitted to use a Periodic Table of Elements on the EOC Chemistry test. These test manipulatives are included with your secure shipments for paper/pencil testing. For online testing, the following manipulatives are available on the toolbar in TestNav™. Please be sure to refer to the paper/pencil manuals and/or the online testing manuals for more information on test manipulatives.
- Alternatives to Animal Dissection, BOE Guidelines(PDF) – The Board of Education sets forth guidelines to be implemented by local school divisions regarding alternative dissection techniques.
Previous Version SOL
- Science Standards of Learning and related resources for the SOL adopted in 2003.